Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Consider the Lilies of the Field


WOW! Life is so full of things to do! When we dream of how life will be when we are younger, how often do we take in to account all of the laundry, meals, dishes, diapers, spills, tears, oil changes, haircuts and flu shots? Those were just the things I thought of off the top of my head....


Many times our "to do" list is full of things that we really should do, and to ignore them would be irresponsible. And, I might add, we usually have to do them with less than adequate sleep.


But what really makes it seem overwhelming to me is when we add to it some unnecessary things. In the moment they might seem necessary...but to step back and look for a minute, well, are they really? Are we taking on more than we are meant to do? I have, and it is not a pretty sight.

These things include: Fear of the future, worries about money, anxiety over what someone might think of you, the thought that someone might let you down....or has let you down. Perfectionism. Unrealistic expectations.

There has been a time in my life that I had convinced myself that I should have a home that would be suitable for the Better Homes and Gardens cover....during a time when I was overworked and our income barely paid the bills. It terrified me that the reality of this was so far away, and it just made me angry and depressed. I budgeted daily, planned, schemed, analyzed until I could not even think- but still could not sleep..."what did I need to do to make this happen?"



The answer was so simple. Nothing.




Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?


Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?


Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?


So why do you worry about clothing? consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin;


and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all this glory was not arrayed like one of these.


Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?


Therefore, do not worry, saying "What shall we eat?"or "What shall we drink?" or "What shall we wear?"


For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.


But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.


Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
-Matthew 6:25-34






So now, now that I have learned to apply this life saving scripture, I can just stick to the necessities on my "to do" list. Yes, our car could break down and then I will have to use the money I saved for a new kitchen table...but God knows what I need and gives me what I need in the perfect time.


He has not failed me yet.


It is thrilling to let go and watch God at work, and I also am in a MUCH better mood.



I painted the picture of the red flower to remind me of this wonderful promise from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment