Monday, December 7, 2009

On the other hand......


The nativity story can be easily overlooked as we go through the traditions of Christmas. We may read it, we may see the statues, or we may even see a live nativity. It is so simple we can miss the awesomeness of this scene.

I think the most awesome part of this story is the people. God uses people in everyday life doing their everyday thing to do the most extraordinary.

A shepard was dirty and probably not educated, maybe not even "good". They were the ones the angels told about Jesus on the night he was born. It was probably pretty amazing to see angels and to go to a stable to see that what the angels said was true! But I wonder if the shepards ever thought..."why did they come talk to us?' That may have been even more amazing.


And that is how Jesus lived his life, showing the unlovable how he loved them and valued them.






Oh holy night! The stars are brightly shining;



This is the night of our dear Savior's birth.



Long lay the world in sin and error pining;



'Til he appeared and the soul felt it's worth.






...the soul felt it's worth. That's what is so awesome to me.






I'm sure I'm not the only one that in my humanness could not find an ounce of worth. I am full of sin and errors. So many people use others as punching bags to feel better about themselves. People can rob worth. Christ came for the soul to feel it's worth.






This is something I want my children to grasp, that they are worth something. With humility, confidence through the power of what God can do in each of their lives, and with love for others, I believe they can accomplish amazing things.






"In know that I am all too aggressive toward the child. I am angry with him, because I am angry at my own failures. I want this child to be the perfect human being that I somehow failed to become. It is shockingly easy to take my frustrations out on those who are under me." -Susan Schaeffer Macaulay, For the Children's Sake



Parents are imperfect, Christ is perfect. God chose imperfect parents for his son, Jesus. He also chose imperfect parents for my children, but he knows that even though I have sin and errors, I do have worth. If I recognize this, I am less likely to criticize my own children for not being perfect as well. This is one way I can show God's love for them.






This is why I love Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment