Monday, September 3, 2012

Detecting Bad Wisdom

I was expecting company, and for the love of that company arose the spirit of clean. I had a vision of how I wanted my house to look, each room in order. That is, except for the basement because my company would not be needing to go there. I found myself taking out clutter from the upstairs and hauling it downstairs to go through later. By the time company arrived, my house met my expectations.

Some people might read this and think that this in nothing profound. I realize that. Except for somewhere in my past I had been taught that you are not a good homemaker if you have a junk room- or a junk drawer for that matter. I am a selective perfectionist, and this one stuck. Therefore, my house was never clean and I felt defeated.

It got me thinking about how wisdom turned bad can result in no wisdom at all. Good stewardship of money can turn into an obsession and generosity dwindles. Hospitality can turn into a prideful show and serving lacks a love component. These things sound good- and are good until the tidbit of wisdom overrides God's grace and peace. I've learned the balance is found in God's promise of peace.

 
And let the peace of God rule in your hearts..... (Col 3:15)
 
 
Once and a while, I ask myself if I am over- spiritualizing everything. It may even annoy people. But I have bitten off more than I can chew myself and unrest is my enemy. I have to bring everything back to God's great and perfect promises.
 
But before we can have this peace, we have to trust God completely. The best way I've learned to do this is to ask Him to help me trust, because in my weakness, trust can seem impossible.
 
You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You. (Isaiah 26:3)
 

 
Now, (at least in my good times) I find myself searching for the peace in every situation.
 
Last spring, we visited one of our favorite parks- a nature center with a creek running through it. We enjoyed waking in the shallow waters, catching frogs, and hunting butterflies. A week ago, we returned to find that it was bone dry, except for a few puddles here and there. My initial reaction was sadness. Drought has challenged my peace this summer.
 
I was reminded, however, that God is so good. He will fill the creek again, and the frogs will return. It was a fantastic learning experience to talk about the effects of weather conditions and to see to floor of the creek. The day was good, and hope remained. Peace stayed firm.
 
 
 
I have enjoyed that the main room in our house is consistently cleaner than before because I gave up the expectation of perfection. It creates a more approprite environment for our family, and it helps maintain order. Overall,(not perectly, by any means)  my days have a joy that comes from being guided by peace.
 
This is my scripture to hide in my heart this week:
 


Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Romans 15:13)


No comments:

Post a Comment