Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Run

Yesterday was Summer's first 5k. I didn't run 3 miles until I was 17, and that was because I didn't want to play volleyball, and I didn't want to go home. So I joined cross country as the worst long distance runner in HHS history. I didn't run to win, obviously, but I had a darn good time!

Thankfully, my husband likes to run. Savannah is a natural, but Summer I wasn't so sure about. She complains when we run together...I preached to Savannah that she needed patience with her since everyone has different gifts... and Summer ran the whole way, finishing with a sprint.

Remind me to never underestimate my children again.





And the kid's run....
 
On your mark,


Get set,

GO!


 
 


I always put the numbers on the back, and it's supposed to be on the front. I never remember that.

It was a great family day, and a first for my eight-year old.

The letter from the Church of the Resurrection, the church that organized the run, said this money was going to orphans, women, children, and young adults in sub-Sahara Africa, specifically the Democratic Republic of the Congo. We are learning about deserts, so we found the Sahara, and then the sub-Sahara on the map.

And the verse on the back of the shirts, which I covered up with the misplaced numbers says:

"I have fought the good fight. I have completed the race. I have kept the faith." -2 Timothy 4:7

This was the verse that the girls had learned at church on the Wednesday night before, and one of the verses on our family mission statement. I love God's timing. It made the verse so much easier to hide in their hearts.

Activity, family time, geography, faith, giving, and growth on a Saturday morning. That's how we roll. Or try to, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment