Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Easy Italian Sauce

My recipes usually are not too precise. I love this Italian Sauce because its flexible, easy, and I usually make two or three batches worth at one time so that I can save the rest for another meal.

 
Easy Italian Sauce
 
1-2 T olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, chopped
 
Heat oil, saute
 
1 jar tomato juice (or several cans of sauce if you prefer)
fresh basil and oregano to taste (dried will work, too)
salt and pepper
 
Simmer at least 20 minutes
 
 
You can add any other spices you like, but this is a nice base recipe. You can put it in lasagna, Italian chicken, or use as a spaghetti sauce. My personal favorite is ground beef and spaghetti squash.
 
I like to get the kids to help by having them cut fresh herbs for me, pour in ingredients, stir occasionally, and taste test it with me. If they are around the kitchen, I also reinforce cooking terms such as saute and simmer, and explain how these actions improve flavor.
 
Anything left over I put in jars and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment