Thursday, December 22, 2011

Wrappings

When I entered into motherhood, I didn't know what I was getting into. It has affected everything. I found out early that we can't just have kids and expect them to adapt to our lives.

On the contrary, we have adapted to them. We have allowed this to happen because we want a life together, including them in what we do. If I kept my personal expectations, I would need to exclude them because they would not meet them. They're kids.

Some days I miss my Independence. Then I remind myself that I'll have it again someday- but I'll never have these years back.

And that is why I let my kids wrap my packages.

If I wasn't so tired, I'd post a picture. But I'm sure you can imagine. It almost looks like they just crumpled a bunch of paper around a box and held it in place with a half a roll of tape. But I enjoyed watching them work.

They had to estimate the amount of paper.

"Let's cut it and then test it", Summer said.

Too big.  Too small.

Fold the angles for the sides.

Figure out how to cover the entire box.

Decorate.

Label.

Problem solving at it's best. Fun Christmas memories. Skill building. Teamwork. Achievement. I will take advantage of these times, even if recipients of our gifts may look at me funny.

So just for the record, if you are getting a gift from me this year and it looks like Mr. Noodle wrapped it, it wasn't me.

No comments:

Post a Comment