Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Opinion: On Friends

I've been in this mood lately- It's not so sweet. Ahhh, the seasons of my moods. This is the season of the matter-of-fact Wendi. So, I thought I'd share my opinion about a few things, because, my opinion is that this is my blog and I can do that, and if you would rather not read it- don't. (but I still hope you do.)

Friends by definition

1. a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.


2. a person who gives assistance; patron; supporter: friends of the Boston Symphony.

3. a person who is on good terms with another; a person who is not hostile: Who goes there? Friend or foe?

4. a member of the same nation, party, etc.

5. ( initial capital letter ) a member of the Religious Society of Friends; a Quaker.

 
My definition:
 
A friend is someone I love to be with.
A friend is not someone I try and get out of spending time with.
 
A friend is someone who learns to appreciate something uniquely important or special to me or about me.
A friend is not someone who always expects me to conform to them.
 
A friend recognizes my gifts and where I got the short end of the stick (like spelling), then encourages the gifts and piles grace on whatever is lacking.
A friend does not start a competition, envying gifts and exposing faults.
 
A friend enriches my life.
A friend does not suck the life out of me.
 
A friend is sad when I hurt and throws a party when I am blessed.
A friend does not get joy from my hurts, nor hurts when I am blessed.
 
With a friend, I can say what I want, respectfully.
A friend does not cause me to walk on eggshells time after time.
 
A friend is welcoming.
A friend does not make me feel stupid for giving an invitation.
 
A friend respects my friends, husband, and children.
If someone slams one of these, I am crushed as well.
 
A friend, no matter how close or how long it's been, shows love. A friend flashes a smile- sometimes a giddy school girl smile, sometimes an "it's been too long" smile, and sometimes a comfortable "you are always welcome" smile. A friend sends encouragement once and a while. A friend admits faults and seeks reconciliation.
 
Some of my friends I don't know very well. Some I feel a connection reserved for a close few.Some are so wonderful but not an active part of my life- but nothing has changed. And many are in between. They are all so beautiful. I have been so blessed with top notch friends that I have no need for a second rate friend. I wish everyone would be so blessed. I would hope that my friendship would be equally valued.
 
Ok, so this turned out to be a little bit sweet. I love my friends.
But competitive, self seeking "friends" are not really friends, and will not be allowed to use me in order to promote their own self. I don't need a friend like that!
 
 
What qualities shine in your friends?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment