Wednesday, January 11, 2012

January

I love a new year. Time to realign a few things.

My kids were complaining about how boring school is. Yikes. I have spent a bunch of time this last six months on the house and less on making school fun. And just in case you are wondering- yes, I think it should be. But then again, life happens.

For instance, yesterady we studied Vermont. Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream is based out of Vermont. So guess what we had for dessert? We also bought pure maple syrup.

Can you believe I have not been to my home town zoo since before my children were born? I've been to many zoos. Just not this one. I think that I've been so timid to take everyone out by myself to places I'm not familiar with. A few days ago I realized that they are older now and that maybe I should be a little more adventurous. And I'm glad I was. Today was grand.

And one more thing. I've said it before and I'll say it again. After my brain darn near explodes from dreaming and planning and prioitizing, what really matters is that my home is a comfort to my family. Not let's see how much math we can do or how super mom-ish I can be (total phasad, by the way) just let's bring up happy kids with a strong mind and compassionate heart.

I know that hard knocks make a person stronger, but I don't believe that it is the intention. It's not plan A. It is simply making the best out of a not so perfect situation. I believe a strong mind starts with security. Extra long hugs in the morning. Positive outlooks. Filling love tanks. High expectations implemented with loads of grace. These are the things that will prepare little lives for the inevidable hard knocks. This is what really matters.

So this year I simply want to lay the foundation and see where it takes us.

1 comment: