Monday, May 23, 2011

Heartbreak

When tragedy strikes, when things don't go our way, when we lose our things, loved ones, and our comfort, instant hopelessness strikes. Many people are heartbroken today, and have been over the last few months with natural disasters and some less publicized heartbreaks happen to those right next to us in the line in the grocery store.

Today I'm overwhelmed with hurt for those in pain. I cry for the horrible events that seem to be increasingly attacking the human race. Why does it happen? I don't know. I am furious with those that try to speculate, especially when God is involved. I don't think he is punishing anyone and I don't think he is indifferent. I am frustrated with those that expect government help in an impossible manner. I groan at the people complaining about FEMA but won't send some money or go themselves.

I don't know the answers, and I am not personally affected with tragedy today. However, I may be at some point. This is what I know, for what it's worth:

  • God doesn't expect us to understand or to know what to do. What He wants is for us to know Him so well that we will trust in Him with our lives, possessions, and circumstances. I am so tired of planning and getting my hopes up in order to get them crushed. He can plan for me and surprise me with the results.

  • God gave us sunsets and songbirds so that, even when there is nothing else we have, we can enjoy them. We need to take inventory of what we do have.

  • There will always be those around us making fools of themselves, but I myself have been a fool as well. Therefore, there is no other fair response than to disagree with grace.

  • For those of us that are left standing asking, " what should I do?"
"For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.....But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control." Against such things there is no law.

Helping in the Spirit means no pride, judgement, jealousy, selfish gain, or provoking.

If you can help in the Spirit, any response that you are compelled to use would be appropriate.

  • We need each other. People are more important that anything you own.
These are my thoughts for circumstances that leave us speechless. I am praying. For those hurting, and for the hearts of those that are capable of helping.

No comments:

Post a Comment