Monday, November 2, 2009

Pomegranate

Summer and I were grocery shopping and she asked, "Mommy, can we buy these?" She was referring to the pomegranates. I get so excited when someone asks me this...especially a fruit or veggie.


Time for a taste test! I use a simple chart that I keep for the girls when we try something new. We use the same chart, one for each girl

Name of food....... Do you like it?


The first reaction was that 2 liked and 2 did not. I had put the arils in a bowl. I guess that was a mistake. Later when the girls saw me picking the arils off the fruit, they wanted to try that and all 4 ate it!


It was sweet and gushy, kinda like a Fruit Gushers with a crunchy middle. They asked to buy more.


  • Summer chose a new food and was excited about it.

  • It's okay to not like it, but it's great that they tried it.

  • They used a chart (math concept)

  • We used descriptive words

  • It was a lot of fun!

http://www.slowfoodusa.org/

How to cut a pomegranate

1. Cut the top off about 1/2 inch from the crown.

2. Score the skin at each section (there will be 4-6)

3. Separate at each score and pull out individual sections

4. If you wish, loosen arils over a bowl. But if you are like my kids, you can just pick them off and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment