Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Boredom....



A few years ago, I was sitting in my MOPS group...as the speaker was being introduced, disappointment came over me. We usually had great speakers that got me excited about motherhood, but I was certain this one would not measure up.

She was a home school mom. The perfect stereotype....jean jumper, bow hair, Birkenstocks. I knew this would be a waste of time. I was SO wrong! By the end of her speech, my idea of what homeschooling was completely changed. I was convinced that this was what we needed to do. There were 3 points that stuck with me.


1. Kids can learn by living real life experiences and conversation (not necessarily classroom style learning.)


2. Everyone can be a home educator...even if the kids are in or will go to a school somewhere.


3. It's okay for them to be bored. Actually, it's good for them to be bored...they need to find something to do themselves.




This morning was one of those mornings. I had a few things to take care of and just let the kids do what they will...(within the rules, of course).


I was pleasantly surprised to find they had all found things to do.



One was drawing pictures from a Draw Write Now book. It shows the child how to draw animals one step at a time, adding a few features each step.

http://www.drawyourworld.com/



The youngest was working on her fine motor skills, stringing beads.



Another was building with blocks.



And my scientist, the oldest was reading a science book and trying to plan a few experiments, which she did and then showed to the rest of the girls.




I have found that if I take the time to explain something with enthusiasm one or two times, they will join that enthusiasm on their own terms and learn much more than I could ever teach!

After lunch, we went to Ernie Miller Nature Center




There were a few bright colors amongst the browns of the dead leaves.















Lichens on old tree trunks




A stage where the girls put on a show for me :)









A snake...and I didn't even run away. The environment just made me want to sit and watch him for a while...........




A beautiful fall day!!






























No comments:

Post a Comment