Thursday, September 16, 2010

MMMMMMM Melons!

My title is pure sarcasm. I hate melons. 



But Max and Brookie could eat them as a whole meal, so they are in my house.

And my husband is THE melon monster.


My mom threw out a cantaloupe at the end of her garden a few years back and has had a plethora of melons. She says they aren't extremely sweet but the kids still love them.

Do you like melons? Do your kids?

They can make an easy melon salad just by balling them.

My melon baller isn't this nice, but I like the brand. Mine is from an auction I believe, and it works just fine.

Step 1: Wash your hands, singing the ABC song while you scrub. WASH the outside thoroughly before cutting into the melon. Melons are a potentially hazardous food!

Step 2: (Adult) cut the melon in half.

Step 3: Look at the beautiful pattern of seeds inside.

Step 4: Scoop out the middle seed portion. Put it in a bowl and let the child squish it between their fingers. eeeeewwwww!!!!

Step 5: Scoop out with the melon baller. Try to make your balls as round as possible. 4-5 year olds may need a little instruction, but after a while they will get it and can do it themselves. No knives needed!!!


Step 6:  Add different colors if you want.

Step 7: EAT (if you want). The balled melons are a nice size and not so much juice will run down those chins.

Cantaloupes and honeydew can be frozen. Brookie thinks this is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment