Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Words

As parents, we are responsible for creating a "normal" for our kids. That does not mean we are normal, it just means that is what is normal to them.

I remember a story I once heard, not sure when or whom from, about a young couple that recently married. The wife was getting ready to bake a ham. She put it out on the counter, cut off the end, and put it in the pan to bake. The husband asked, "why did you cut off the end?" She answered, "I don't know, that's what my mother always did."

So they decided to ask her mother why she cut the end off of the ham. The called her up and her reply was, "I don't know, that's what my mother always did."

Finally, they called up the wife's grandmother and asked once more. "I don't know why you do it" said the grandmother, "I cut off the end because it didn't fit into my pan."



Our words are the same way. Do we want to raise complainers, gossipers, pessimists, doubters, or people that talk down on others and themselves? Or do we want to raise optimists, lovers, thankers, helpers and dreamers? I think it has a lot to do with the words we use in order to create a "normal" that leads to joyful, loving persons.

Words are powerful but we need to believe what we are saying. I listened to this on my way to work this morning. LOVE IT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment