Friday, March 14, 2014

Pop Quiz

Last night as I blogged, I was baking banana bread. Turns out, I was too tired to attempt such a thing.. the recipe was for two loaves and I put everything on one pan. It ran out of the pan on onto my already filthy oven floor.

My oven's self cleaning feature no longer works. Neither does "broil".

No banana bread, either.

Believe me, there is plenty to get depressed about in my house- can you relate? My washer washes with only hot water. There are clothes everywhere. The toilet paper rolls always seem to be empty. My shower has not been cleaned in months.

Maybe I can't rationally compare my life with the Israelites, who after wandering around in a desert their whole life, were getting ready to enter a land of enemy giants, but there are things that tempt me to throw a pity party. God prepared them by giving them a choice ahead of time- a pop quiz you might say.

 I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live... (Deuteronomy 30:20)

He gave his people a quiz with an obvious answer, then he gave them the answer to they should choose while still making it a choice.

The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, To turn one away from the snares of death. (Proverbs 14:27)

We choose life by having the fear or reverence of the Lord (and His word).

    ...in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (1Thessalonians 5:18)    

And the Lord says to give thanks.

Life is growth, life is purpose, in Deuteronomy, life is analogy for blessing.

Do all things without grumbling or questioning.. (Philippians 2:14)



Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. ( Ephesians 4:29)


Today was a day of just being. Good things happened, frustrating things happened. I had a choice: grumble or give thanks.

Life or death. Blessing or cursing. (choose life)

Today was good friends, good weather, and the park.
Lots of hugs, playing with the neighbor who only comes out occasionally.
Brooke helping me clean the oven with bubbling baking soda and vinegar, saying, "I never knew cleaning could be this much fun!"
Learning patterns with Legos.

Goodnight hugs, goodnight prayers, goodnight drinks of water...

And a super spiritual moment after prayers when I blessed Max:

"Max, God gave you a purpose and you are strong and brave..."
"Mom? While you were praying I was scratching my butt."



No comments:

Post a Comment