Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Looking Forward

I don't remember details about my childhood. A few, but not like some people. I know generalities. My mother must have talked a lot about heaven because I developed a sense of perseverance through whatever I went through, thinking that one day this will all be a memory.

I long for my child-like thoughts again.

With the help of the Holy Spirit, I think I am re-learning some of them. As I read history, especially the very best stories, I find that our comfort is not top priority to God. Victory is. That is what Jesus is all about- having what we need to push through the filth in order to obtain our destinies. Heaven bound.

When we really know this, it makes whatever we are going through a little better. A lot better.

I love the David Crowder song that says, "and all of a sudden, I am unaware of the afflictions eclipsed by glory, and I realize just how beautiful you are and how great your affections are for me.."

I had a great weekend.
Family.
Church.
Good food.
Answered prayer.
Loving on my children.
Jesus.

One more lyrical reminder: "Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, and the things of this world will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace."

I have much to be thankful for in the present, but the future is what puts everything in perspective. It tells us who we are, where are rightful home is, and what the King is like. Until then, we can persevere through the sewers of life and grab on to all of the bits of heaven we can receive.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures. -James 1:16-18

Ah, yes. As I write this I have a memory. I walked through the fattening barn, each cluster of pigs scattering as I go by their individual pen. At the end of the concrete slab, I lean over the railing and look down to the waterway full of manure. The sewage. Sometimes I would clean the barns by scraping the filth into this sewer- and finish my job quickly so that I could be the first to run into our one bathroom house, throw off my clothes, and draw a warm bath.

Sewage. Its not so bad when you know the bath is coming. Its not so bad when your heart is full.

No comments:

Post a Comment