Monday, June 21, 2010

My New Adventure

Sometimes life just seems shaky...like your foundations could crumble. That's how I have felt lately.

If you are a christian, you probably know why. I got lazy, but God didn't. Last week I went to my Mom and Dad's house. I knew my back tires were getting bad but there was something I didn't know. One of the front tires was about to split open. Meanwhile, my car started making a funny noise. Dad thought it was probably just a rock wedged in somewhere (they live on dirt roads). He found the rock and took it out. We discussed getting it looked at but the noise was gone. I mentioned to him that I did need new tires and an alignment but the local shop didn't have time for an alignment so I told him I'd take care of it at home. As he was going into town the next day, he started driving his truck but turned around because something told him to take my car in anyway. I probably wouldn't have made the 2 1/2 hour trip back without some serious troubles with my precious cargo on board.

This is not a coincidence...I have countless stories of God watching while I was unaware of troubles. This happened when I was not being strong in my faith, so what would happen if it was stronger?

I am the kind of person that when I find something works I stick with it whole heartedly. A way of disciplining my kids, for example. If I find it works, why go looking around for other ideas? They just confuse me. I have been a believer in Jesus since I can remember but I wouldn't stick with this faith if I didn't really think it was true. Time and experience has just strengthened what I was taught since childhood.

This is how I see life:

You wake up in the morning, grab a cup of coffee, and sit on the back deck just as the sun is starting to rise. It is truly a majestic gift from God to be able to watch the sky no matter what time of day, but there is something special about the sunrise.

However, just as the sun starts to color the morning sky, small but ugly distractions start tugging at you, trying to get your attention. These distractions have names such as worry, insecurity, self doubt, fear, and criticism, to name a few.

They keep tugging and you struggle to concentrate on the awesomeness of the giant sky that fills your heart with joy, peace, contentment, and security. One second is all it takes to look down and make eye contact with one of your distraction and you will miss the glorious beauty of that sunrise.

I don't want to miss the sunrise.
I don't want to miss out on God's best for me.

I just want to look to Jesus. No other religion, no other person, no other good deed. Although Jesus can use others to help me, ultimately my eyes must stay on HIM.

I was convicted today to concentrate on looking to Jesus each day for a year. AND...dare I say it? To watch the sunrise every morning. Conveniently on the longest day of the year. This is my new adventure. I hope to share struggles and victories as I go. Think I'm crazy? Don't care. That would be a distraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment