Thursday, February 25, 2010

Surely Goodnes and Mercy Will Follow Me.....

God must have wanted me to take notice of this verse because it has been coming up lately in my life. One of the first verses and only full chapter that I still remember from Sunday School.

Word pictures really help me put an idea into practice.

Psalm 23 (NIrV)



The LORD is my shepherd. He gives me everything I need. (Everything.)

He lets me lie down in fields of green grass. He leads me beside quiet waters. (The sound of water trickling, the green grass against a bright blue sky, breathing fresh air...sounds so peaceful)

He gives me new strength. (Must remember this next time I have a migraine with loud kids and no break in sight.)

He guides me in the right paths for the honor of His name. ( I don't have all the answers- but I know who does and He wants to give them to me!!)

Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid. You are with me. Your shepherd's rod and staff comfort me. (A rod for telling me where to go when I have no clue and a staff to get me out of trouble. Even the trouble I get into when I didn't listen to the rod.)

You prepare a feast for me right in front of my enemies. (Not only do I feel safe, but I am eating a feast! Go on, you can hate me if you want but I'm over here with God! Yeah, that's right! So...what you gonna do??)

You pour oil on my head. (like a massage after a long days work.)

I am sure that your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life. And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. (No need to worry about natural disasters, disease, divorce, bankruptcy, terrorism....God's goodness will always be there!)


A few thoughts.....

1. Did Jesus ever freak out? If He was frustrated, it was from the fact that people just didn't get how great God was!

2. So, what would He say to me?

3. What blessings am I missing out on because I don't take advantage of what He WANTS to give to me?

4. Why am I not making every effort to spend time with, fall in love with, soak up all He has to offer?

5. Say this chapter with your child's name in place of the I's or my's. What peace it gives me to know God loves my children so much! He is their provider and protector more than I could ever be!

6. If I were to live like God intended- believing that he would take care of my needs, etc.- what would I be able to accomplish for His glory? How would I bless others? How could I get more done and yet enjoy life to the fullest? I would like to find out!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Wendi...I love this! You have captured the essence of this chapter..it is not for the dying but for the living.

    ReplyDelete