Sunday, January 20, 2013

Seek Ye First

As I compile the list of things to do and habits to change, another list quickly fills up the lines of the notebook page: needs and wants. It can be overwhelming, depressing, and is one reason why I have procrastinated thus far. I don't want to be obsessed with what I don't have, so I ignore it.

Now I must stand before my oven and do something about the fact that it will no longer broil, and face the fact that my 20+ year old washing machine only gives me hot water during the wash cycle, and takes an hour to fill the rinse. I'm (mostly) a stay at home mom, I have a budget that does not include a new turquoise vintage-style refrigerator (that I would love).

 
Therefore, do not worry, saying, "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we wear?" (or "How will I cook and clean the clothes?") For after these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all of these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.
 
Matthew 6:31-33
 
 
In the big picture, it seems so vain to accumulate the perfect appliances that will eventually break in order to make my life easier, but we do need them. I could stop giving so we could save more, or I could work more and spend less time with my children. But I'm trusting God, and his economy does not work that way. Today, I think it is a good project to make my needs and wants list, and then make a list of what seeking God's kingdom looks like in this home. Possibly in giving, valuing family, and loving people. The latter will then be used as a guideline for plans, and the former will be handed over for God to supply.
 


1 comment: