Thursday, January 17, 2013

Preparations of the Heart

I feel the need to qualify every move I make. Why is that? Anyway, I'm methodical. I've been chewing over how to be a good homemaker for the last ten years. I've tried things here and there, and mustered up all kinds of discipline that lasts a day (maybe).

So I thought it's the beginning of a new year, good place to do something. Food is the best place to start. We need to eat and being a dietitian, it's always in an open file in my mind. I was going to not eat out, and to make food from scratch all month. Good plan.

Until we celebrated at the Great Wolf Lodge on New Year's day and they would not let us bring in food. Nachos and soft pretzels for lunch. Then, Sook ordered pizza for the kids while I was at work. After a few road trips resulting in hungry kids mid-way (funny thing about Emporia's city limits), I threw up my hands. God tapped me on the shoulder and said, "I didn't ordain this."

Oops, I did  it again. That is why my plans fail. I hear one little bit of vision and start running. Just like my kids do. (It drives me crazy!)

Oh, no. I'm not even ready to jump into the work part. First, I must master the preparations. The prioritizing, scheduling, meditating, and values identification. That is a little scary. I mean, it's past noon and I am still in my pajamas because I wanted my heart ready to face the day. I've prayed and read and did a few exercises, and I'm just now thinking I might be able to handle what is ahead of me. Of course, this won't (can't) happen every day, but today it can. I was so worried what Sook would say when I came upstairs and saw the disaster as a result of my preparations. Nothing. Just a big smile and kiss while I sat, reading on the couch.


I'm listening now, God.

The preparations of the heart belong to man,
But the answer of the tongue is from the Lord.
 
All the ways of man are pure in his own eyes,
But the Lord weighs the spirits.
 
Commit your works to the Lord,
And your thoughts will be established
 
****
 
When a man's ways please the Lord,
He makes even his enemies be at peace with him.
 
Better is a little with righteousness,
Than vast revenues without justice.
 
A man's heart plans his way,
But the Lord directs his steps.
 
****
 
How much better to get wisdom than gold!
And to get understanding is better than silver.
 
****
 
Pride goes before destruction,
And a haughty spirit before a fall.
 
Better to be of a humble spirit with the lowly,
Then to divide the spoil with the proud.
 
He who heeds the word wisely will find good,
And whoever trusts in the Lord, happy is he.
 
The wise in heart will be called prudent,
And the sweetness of the lips increase learning.
 
Understanding is a wellspring of the life to him who has it.
But the correction of fools is folly.
 
The heart of the wise teaches his mouth,
And adds learning to his lips.
 
Pleasant words are like honeycomb,
Sweetness to the soul and health to the bones.
 
There is a way that seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death.
 
From Proverbs 16
 
 
I am finding that our culture has worked in many preparations of man and called it righteousness. Oh God, show me your righteousness so my works are not done in vain.
 
Lesson #1: Follow God's leading. His thoughts are bigger and better, His vantage point broader, and His powers are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment