Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Where Bad Days Don't Exist

We have all read the book "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day". Alexander seems to have had everything wrong possible happen to him- at least in his school-aged mind, and he has determined that it is the worst day ever. Saying that you are having a "bad day" is almost a defeatist attitude.

I personally do not allow that phrase in my house, mostly because if we have already defined the day as bad, it must continue to be bad. In close quarters, if one of six of us is having a bad day, all six of us are affected. That makes life miserable for me. Therefore, no bad days are allowed.

Bad experience? Sure. Bad moments? Certainly. Bad attitudes? You bet. These things can be turned around. But saying it is a bad day at 10:00am is a recipe for disaster.

This morning we discussed Paul's appeal to Caesar and his travels, where there seemed to be a trail of disasters. After being shipwrecked at Malta, a viper fastened on to his hand, so Paul shook it off and went on with his work. The natives expected him to swell up and fall down, but nothing happened, so they thought he was a god.

Our morning discussions are quite interesting and unplanned, and this one in particular had me thinking. I said, "What if we could just shake off anything bad that happens to us? What would life look like?"

I have to take a break here and explain- I am not saying that anything of the sort is simple. But if we study and believe what the Bible says, I think it is very clear that it is possible. In fact, it is how God wants us to live, in complete trust of His protection. So, I am not teaching my children that is how I expect them to live, but suggesting the idea of it and imagining what that would be like. That is where we begin.

The children looked skeptical, maybe even confused. So I asked, "Did Jesus ever have a bad day?"

"Yeah, the day he died!"
"The day he died was the day he made a sacrifice for all of our sins, allowing us to have salvation. Is that a bad day?"

"The day Lazarus died?"
"That day allowed Him to show His resurrection power to the people, and Lazarus was eventually raised from the dead.  Was that really a bad day?"

"The day John the Baptist had his head cut off?"
"That was the day Jesus fed 5000."
"Oh."

Bad things happened to Jesus, and yes, he cried. However, he was never defeated.

That attitude is something I'd love to see develop in my children.

16 comments:

  1. Wendi - just got to read this post and it is GREAT! I love the wisdom of not declaring it a bad day or we truly are all doomed and all we will expect is bad and see things through that lens. I giggled at the 10am part because there's so many times I'm tempted to "call it" by that time and we are just getting started :) What great perspective - thank you for this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great web site. Good sparkling user interface and very informative blogs. I will be coming back in a bit, thanks for the great article. I have found it enormously useful..
    unblockedgames| unblocked games at school| friv 4 school| friv4school| free online games| free online games| unblocked tetris| tetrisgames| monster high games| play monster high games| jogos da barbie| kizi

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the selected site free games and play great. Same goes for your play.
    gun mayhem
    tank trouble 2
    learn to fly 2
    can your pet 2
    happy wheels game

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing such a nice article. It is really useful to me and all people. One think in my mind came while reading that it is not wasting of time.
    happy wheels | friv | happy wheels | girlsgogames | games2girls | happy wheels 2

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often get emotionally involved. Like when I read your post, I can cry, laugh, sad, funny, depending on your written words. I think you are a sensitive person.
    baixar facebook l baixar facebook l baixar whatsapp l baixar whatsapp

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post is so useful to me. Thanks for sharing it friv4schoolonline.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your post. It really useful with me. Thanks for sharing these useful information!
    happywheels3game.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can feel that the articles contained in this blog is so interesting. I also get a variety informasin, thanks. geometry-dash.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the information you shared. Please share useful information with your friends regularly
    http://papasgamesonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was very impressed by this post, this site has always been pleasant news. Thank you very much for such an interesting post. Keep working, great job! In my free time, I like play game: facebooklite.com.br. What about you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This article is really fantastic and thanks for sharing the valuable post.
    run3unblockedgame.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know. Nice! thank you so much! Thank you for sharing.
    http://b612az.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you very much for the information you shared, it’s all I’ve been looking for
    www.happywheels-2.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing these useful information! pocaauto

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, so Much admin have a nice day :) you information about weight loss is very easy and simple.
    online instagram

    ReplyDelete