Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Butterfly Hunting



I have been reading more about learning through play.... I love the concept. Most of the blogs I read have to do with pre-school, but I think there is room for it in grade school as well- in addition to the core subjects.

Children's play is an art that no adult can replicate perfectly. The whimsical imperfection of stuffed animals, child clubs, pretending, and investigation somehow fill in the gaps we never knew were there.

The other day, Savannah got out her butterfly net and started catching, observing, and identifying these beauties.

So we've been hunting and identifying butterflies as of late.




And today we found a few more interesting things.







I barely had a zoom on this one. I don't think I've ever been this close to a deer....

We are attempting a butterfly garden. So far the ants are the ones that really like it.

When Bear, Max, and I sat down to talk today, he immediately told Bear about how he saw a deer. Next, he pointed to the other end of the room, gasped, and said, "Wook! Deer!"

I assumed that Bear would want to make friends and talk to Deer, so that was my natural response. I was wrong.

Max decisively grabbed Bear, leaped off his bed, ran to where Deer was, and put Bear's mouth to the ground, smacking his lips.

Bear had eaten Deer.
Max looked up, flashed a smile, and said, "doiagain".

And Bear ate deer for the second time.

Apparently, Bear likes to eat.

And obviously, his boy play is different than the girl play I am accustomed to.

Even mamas can learn through play.

No comments:

Post a Comment