Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My Greatest Joy

Disclaimer: In writing this, I am NOT saying my children are perfect, always do the right thing, or never make me want to pull my hair out. But there are times they make my heart grow too big for my chest because there is evidence of walking in truth...

3 John 1:4 says: I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.

This afternoon Brooke came in and showed me an ouchie, declaring she can't play because she was so hurt. My two year old son, Max, looked at it and said, "Band-aid?"

"Max, go get one of your band-aids for Brooke", I said.

He ran down the hall as fast as his little legs could carry him. A few seconds later, he was back with a Hot Wheels Band-Aid, happy to share.

"You OK, Brooke?" He asked her as he watched her put it on. Of course, she was able to play once again.

Love.

************************************

I asked the girls to clean up the basement before they played outside. A few minutes later one came up, declaring it was done. A few minutes more and another said that it looked pretty good.

Several minutes later, Savannah comes up and says, "I think it's done now. The other two left me but I kept on cleaning. I'm trying to be a meek child."

We had just discussed meekness the week before.

Hope.

****************************************

Lately, we have had to tell the children we can't do everything they want because of our variable income. They are well aware that we are watching what we spend money on, but they know there is nothing to worry about.

Summer has lost 2 teeth recently so she is proudly carrying around two dollar bills, waiting for the perfect time to spend them. Today I asked her to go to the store with me to pick up a few things.

As we arrive at the store she asks, "Do you want my money now or do you want me to pay for it later?" It was then I realized that she thought I had asked her to come along so she would pay for my items. She would have given me her money with no regrets.

Peace.
***************************************

Daddy has been taking the girls out on dates this week. Brooke is aware that her turn is next. Sook and I were sitting on the couch with Max when Brookie comes up, gives Max a hug, and says, "Daddy, when you take me on a date I want Max to come along too. He needs to have a date too! I want to share my date with Max."

Kindness.
*****************************************

In my study group today, we were reminded that training our children is our job... it's not their job to make it easy for us. And it definitely is not easy. However, I believe the effort made now will produce more and more joys for my lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment